Dimensional shingles, also known as architectural or laminate shingles, have a number of benefits over 3-tab shingles, including:
- Improved aesthetics: Dimensional shingles have a three-dimensional appearance that can give a roof a more textured, upscale look. They come in a wide range of colors and styles, which can complement the overall look of a home.
- Greater durability: Dimensional shingles are typically thicker and heavier than 3-tab shingles, and they are made with multiple layers of material. This can make them more resistant to wind, hail, and other types of weather damage.
- Longer lifespan: Dimensional shingles can last up to 50 years or more, depending on the quality of the materials and the installation. This is significantly longer than the lifespan of 3-tab shingles, which generally last around 20 to 25 years.
- Better insulation: Because of their thickness and multiple layers, dimensional shingles can provide better insulation for a home. This can help to reduce energy costs and improve indoor comfort.
- Increased resale value: Installing dimensional shingles can increase the curb appeal and overall value of a home, which can make it more attractive to potential buyers if you decide to sell in the future.
Overall, while dimensional shingles may be more expensive than 3-tab shingles initially, they can provide significant benefits in terms of aesthetics, durability, lifespan, insulation, and resale value over the long term.